The former Benedictine abbey of Saint-Bénigne, just like the abbey of Cluny, had been severely damaged after the french revolution. Its Gothic church, built by Abbot Hugues d’Arc (see his tomb stone at the museum) has become a cathedral. The circular edifice at the head of the church was, in the year 1000, a magnificent three story rotunda which allowed pilgrims to walk around the sarcophagus-reliquary of Benigne, priest and martyr. The rotunda has been created by abbot Guillaune of Volpiano, born in the island of lake Orta, Italy. The east wing of the cloister formed an angle with the church and roomed the chapter house, the scriptorium and the dormitory. The kitchen, refectory, library, abbot’s lodgings, as well as the ramparts protecting the abbey, and the gardens have all disappeared from the street level. The “école nationale supérieure d’art” is today housed in the 18th. The collections of the Archaeological Museum are on display in the main wing of the former Benedictine Abbey of Saint-Bénigne. The power of the 11th century chapter room and scriptorium, are acutely contrasted by the quiet elegance of the late 13th century monks’ dormitory. The architectural grouping is completed by some more recent rooms and a 17th century staircase.
- Activity compatible with the health crisis
- Updated opening conditions
- Musée de France
- Municipal museum
- Junior workshop
- Temporary exhibitions
- Cheques and postal orders
Du 1er avril au 31 octobre ouvert tous les jours de 9h30 à 12h30 et de 14h à 18h, sauf le mardi.
Du 2 novembre au 31 mars ouvert les mercredis, samedis et dimanches.
Fermeture les 1er janvier, 1er et 8 mai, 14 juillet, 1er et 11 novembre, 25 décembre.